How to use dynamat. Dynamat install on a Toyota Avalon

I actually did not use but Rockville sound deadener which I actually like quite a bit. 

I have used fatmat, norcool or whatever and certain other products and have always preferred dynamat extreme.  I have learned to always select sound deadener with butyl rubber compound versus asphalt.  I was thinking about the NVX product but I choose Rockville as it had better reviews.   This product was competitively priced, used butyl rubber compound, had good reviews.

I have thus far only installed it in two places, this review is limited as I do not have any comments about it's long term use.




So the Avalon has some issues with rattles, especially when the stereo is turned up.  There is a TSB regarding the issue.  So once I upgraded the speakers in the front door to 6x9s infinity reference's speakers the issue of rattling was horrible.  With the bass turned up just one notch, or any volume on the head unit over about 38-40 the doors would rattle.



I applied some dynamat to the inside of the door (furthest from the passengers) to reduce rattles, I did not do a full application of the inner panels.  I then removed all of the plastic and replaced it with the dynamat sound deadener, this made the output of the speakers much better, the bass response is now quite good until the head unit rolls off.  I then put deadener on the majority of the outer exposed metal and on the cables to help them not "rattle," almost like tape.


Additionally, I put liberal amounts of sound deadener on the inner door cards paying special attention to any joints between panels and the back of the door opener which is only held in by a screw ( I did not block the cables but I ran a slice of deadener around the back of the door handle to the door itself almost like tape).  I choose this rather unorthodox style of application because it was clear some of the rattling was from the door card itself.  I took some of the leftover gunk from the plastic sheets and applied it to the back of the door handle insert as well as parts of the insert on the window switch panel.  The window switch panel is made up of several parts, I used small amounts of deadener and gunk to secure these multiple parts from rattling.  I added some deadener to the mount screw which attaches to the bottom of the window switches and to that behind the door handle.  Please comment if you have any suggestions on where to add more.


The results are fantastic thus far.  The stock stereo is fun to listen to, I can turn it up or leave it at moderate volumes and get a much fuller reproduction of frequency without unintended frequencies or rattles.  I also choose at this point to click the +3 option of my infinity speaker high section to +0 which I think improved the sound quite a bit. 

While I know that car hifi is a bit of a misnomer because of the road noise, adding this sound deadner really took out a vast amount of rattles caused by music which significantly increased my enjoyment of the radio.  Even without music the car rides noticeably quieter with less rattles road noise. 

Comments

  1. Great job. Would you consider upgrading the speakers in my 2013 Avalon Limited the best first step in what will be a very long upgrade process due to funding? Did you only do the front door speakers or all 11?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rear Sway Bar for 2016 Avalon and Driving Impressions

Pioneer Auto EQ Greyed Out, Not Selectable, Fix